Conducting polymers in composites and applications Research Group (CPCA) is funded by Ton Duc Thang University (TDTU) and belongs to Faculty of Applied Sciences (TDTU). The group focuses on actuators, sensors, energy harvesters, biomedical applications and smart materials in coatings and electrochemical deposition.
2. Mission and vision
The development of conducting polymers in composites is from international interest in speciality by combination of substitutes such as additional polymers, carbon based materials, polymerized ionic liquids and other specific catalytic materials. With increasing market in electronic devices getting small, needing high power batteries, the low voltage driven conducting polymer composites having potential to contribute in new polymer based smart devices, there is the need to investigate the composites in material characterization and novel application in the area of smart materials.
A new direction will be drawn from this research group, the combination of high charging/discharging electrodes and its application in enviromental science for catching heavy metals in waste water, soil and in combination with biochar material leading to a positive effect in bioremiadiation.
3. Research topics
• Conducting polymer actuators
• Conducting polymer composites based on CDC, PEO, PIL and others
• Conducting polymer on nanofiber scaffolds
• Biomedical application
• Anti-corrosive membranes
• Super capacitors
• Sensors and energy harvester
• Bioremediation, biochar
4. Current members
Dr. Rudolf Kiefer
• Head of Conducting polymers in composites and applications Research Group, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Ton Duc Thang University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• Associate Professor, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Ton Duc Thang University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Areas of expertise: Conducting polymer actuators, conducting polymer composites, carbon based materials, nanotechnology, polymer chemistry, coatings, material science, electrochemistry, biochemistry, electro active polymers, nanofiber scaffolds
Research track record (until January of 2018):
• ISI papers: 28
• Total ISI Citations: 310
• ISI H-index: 10
• Top ISI journals (at most 5):
2. Journal of Material Chemistry A
3. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical
4. Electrochimica Acta
5. RSC Advances
Dr. Tran Thien Khanh
• Member of Conducting polymers in composites and applications Research Group, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Ton Duc Thang University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• Lecturer, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Ton Duc Thang University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Areas of expertise: Conducting polymers, anti-corrosion, waste water, IC Manufacturing Process, Material science, surface modification, inorganic materials.
5. Former members (name, title, picture)
6. Publications (ISI or Scopus only)
2. Zane Zondaka, Alo Kivilo, Sunjai Nakshatharan, Kadi-Anne Küppar, Urmas Johanson, Tarmo Tamm, Rudolf Kiefer (2018); Carbide-derived carbon and poly-3,4-ethylenedioxythiphene composite laminate: linear and bending actuation; Synthetic Metals (ISI).
1. Roshan Khadka, Zane Zondaka, Arko Kesküla, Mahdi Safaei Khorram, Tran Thien Khanh, Tarmo Tamm, Jadranka Travas‐Sejdic, Rudolf Kiefer (2018); Influence of solvent on linear polypyrrole–polyethylene oxide actuators; Applied Polymer (ISI).
7. Contact: Click here