Plant Stress Research Group (PS) is a research group funded by Ton Duc Thang University. The group focuses on various problems that plants are facing with under the era of climate change using both modern wet lab and computational approaches.
2. Mission and vision
Environmental stresses, such as drought, high salinity, soil erosion and pollutants, and nutrient deficiencies, as well as diseases are the factors affecting yield and stability of crop production, thereby threatening sustainable agriculture. Our research interests are to elucidate the roles of various signaling molecules and candidate genes, as well as their interactions in plant responses to environmental stresses. Our final goal is to develop crop plants with enhanced productivity under adverse environmental conditions, which will help provide food security for the ever-increasing world population in the era of climate change.
3. Research topics
• Mechanisms regulating plant responses to environmental stresses and nutrient deficiencies
• Systems biology and translational genomics of crops
• Plant growth promoting regulators and their roles in improvement of plant productivities under normal and adverse conditions
• Conservation of plant genetic resources in Vietnam
4. Current members
Dr. Lam-Son Phan Tran
• Head of Plant Stress Research Group, Ton Duc Thang University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• Unit Leader, Signaling Pathway Research Unit, RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science
Areas of expertise: Abiotic stress; disease resistance; plant hormones; plant growth promoting regulators; transcription factors; signaling molecules; gene identification and analysis; gene regulatory network; signal transduction
• Associate/Academic Editor:
- Scientific Reports
- International Journal of Molecular Sciences
- Plant Molecular Biology Reporter
- BMC Plant Biology
- BMC Genomics
- PloS One
- BioMed Research International
- Review Editor of Frontiers in Plant Physiology
- Member of Editorial Board of Plant Science
- Member of Editorial Board of Critical Reviews in Biotechnology
- Member of Editorial Board of Biotechnology Advances
- Honorary Advisory Editor of Plant and Cell Physiology
Research track record (until October of 2015):
• ISI papers: 85
• Total ISI Citations: 3470
• ISI H-index: 29
• Top ISI journals (at most 5):
1. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
2. Plant Cell
3. Plant Journal
4. Plant Physiology
5. Trends in Plant Science
Kien Nguyen, MSc
• Member of Plant Stress Research Group, Ton Duc Thang University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• IPA student, Signaling Pathway Research Unit, RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science
Areas of expertise: Abiotic stress; gene transformation; gene cloning; plant growth promoting regulators; transcription factors; bioinformatics
5. Former members (name, title, picture)
Quang Ong, BSc
Position: Former of Plant Stress Research Group, Ton Duc Thang University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Areas of expertise: Computational biology; computer-aided drug design; molecular docking and simulation; abiotic stresses; genome-wide analysis; gene expression analysis
6. Publications (ISI or Scopus only)
30. Martin Jemo, Driss Dhiba, Abeer Hashem, Elsayed Fathi Abd_Allah, Abdulaziz A. Alqarawi & Lam-Son Phan Tran (2018); Mycorrhizal fungal community structure in tropical humid soils under fallow and cropping conditions ;Scientific reports (ISI).
29. Moses Akindele Abiala, Mostafa Abdelrahman, David J. Burritt, Lam‐Son Phan Tran (2018); Salt stress tolerance mechanisms and potential applications of legumes for sustainable reclamation of salt‐degraded soils; Land Degradation & Developments (ISI).
28. Mezanur Rahman, Mohammad Golam Mostofa, Abiar Rahman, Giashuddin Miah, Satya Ranjan Saha, M. Abdul Karim, Sanjida Sultana Keya, Munny Akter, Mohidul Islam, Lam-Son Phan Tran (2018); Insight into salt tolerance mechanisms of the halophyte Achras sapota: an important fruit tree for agriculture in coastal areas; Protoplasma (ISI).
27. Shaohua Shi, Lei Tian, Fahad Nasir, Xiujun Li, Weiqiang Li, Lam-Son Phan Tran, Chunjie Tian (2018); Impact of domestication on the evolution of rhizomicrobiome of rice in response to the presence of Magnaporthe oryzae; Plant Physiology and Biochemistry (ISI).
26. Mohammad Golam Mostofa, Weiqiang Li, Kien Huu Nguyen, Masayuki Fujita, Lam‐Son Phan Tran (2018); Strigolactones in plant adaptation to abiotic stresses: An emerging avenue of plant research; Plan Cell & Environment (ISI).
25. Sudhakar Srivastava, Munish Kumar Upadhyay, Ashish Kumar Srivastava, Mostafa Abdelrahman, Penna Suprasanna, Lam-Son Phan Tran (2018); Cellular and Subcellular Phosphate Transport Machinery in Plants; International Journal of Molecular Sciences (ISI).
24. Mohammad Golam Mostofa, Ajit Ghosh, Zhong-Guang Li, Md. Nurealam Siddiqui, Masayuki Fujita, Lam-Son Phan Tran (2018); Methylglyoxal – a signaling molecule in plant abiotic stress responses; Free Radical Biology and Medicine (ISI).
23. Mostafa Abdelrahman, Abdullah M. Al-Sadi, Alireza Pour-Aboughadareh, David J.Burritt, Lam-Son Phan Tran (2018); Genome editing using CRISPR/Cas9–targeted mutagenesis: An opportunity for yield improvements of crop plants grown under environmental stresses; Plant Physiology and Biochemistry (ISI).
22. Sudisha Jogaiah, Mostafa Abdelrahman, Lam‐Son Phan Tran, Shin‐Ichi Ito (2017); Different mechanisms of Trichoderma virens‐mediated resistance in tomato against Fusarium wilt involve the jasmonic and salicylic acid pathways; Molecular Plant Pathology (ISI).
21. Shasha Luo, Lei Tian, Chunling Chang, Shaojie Wang, Jianfeng Zhang, Xue Zhou, Xiujun Li, Lam‐Son Phan Tran, Chunjie Tian (2018); Grass and maize vegetation systems restore saline‐sodic soils in the Songnen Plain of northeast China; Land Degradation & Development (ISI).
20. Mostafa Abdelrahman, Sudisha Jogaiah, David J. Burritt, Lam‐Son Phan Tran (2018); Legume genetic resources and transcriptome dynamics under abiotic stress conditions; Plant, Cell & Environment (ISI)
19. Mostafa Adbelrahman, David J. Burrittc, Lam-Son Phan Tran; The use of metabolomic quantitative trait locus mapping and osmotic adjustment traits for the improvement of crop yields under environmental stresses; Seminars in Cell & Developmental Biology (2017) (ISI).
18. Dong Cao, Yuanyuan Li, Baohui Liu, Fanjiang Kong, Lam-Son Phan Tran; Adaptive Mechanisms of Soybean Grown on Salt-Affected Soils; Land Degradation & Development (2017) (ISI).
17. Synan AbuQamar, Khaled Moustafa, Lam-Son Phan Tran; Mechanisms and strategies of plant defense against Botrytis cinerea; Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, Vol. 37 (2) (2017), pp. 262-274 (ISI).
16. Oksana Sytar, Marian Brestic, Marek Zivcak, Lam-Son Phan Tran; The Contribution of Buckwheat Genetic Resources to Health and Dietary Diversity; Current Genomics, Vol. 17 (2016), pp. 193 - 206 (ISI).
15. Sharathchandra R. Govind, Sudisha Jogaiah, Mostafa Abdelrahman, Hunthrike S. Shetty, Lam-Son P. Tran; Exogenous Trehalose Treatment Enhances the Activities of Defense-Related Enzymes and Triggers Resistance against Downy Mildew Disease of Pearl Millet; Frontiers in Plant Science, Vol. 7 (2016), Article Number 1593 (ISI).
14. Weiqiang Li, Luis Herrera-Estrella, Lam-Son Phan Tran; The Yin-Yang of Cytokinin Homeostasis and Drought Acclimation/Adaptation; Trends in Plant Science, Vol. 21 (2016), pp. 548–550 (ISI).
13. Maryam Nasr Esfahani, Miyako Kusano, Kien Huu Nguyen, Yasuko Watanabe, Chien Van Ha, Kazuki Saito, Saad Sulieman, Luis Herrera-Estrella, and Lam-Son Phan Tran; Adaptation of the symbiotic Mesorhizobium–chickpea relationship to phosphate deficiency relies on reprogramming of whole-plant metabolism; Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Vol. 113 (2016), pp. E4610–E461 (PNAS)
12. Sudisha Jogaiah, Mahantesh Kurjogi, Sharathchandra Ramasandra Govind, Shekar Shetty Huntrike, Vedamurthy Ankala Basappa, Lam-Son Phan Tran; Isolation and evaluation of proteolytic actinomycete isolates as novel inducers of pearl millet downy mildew disease protection; Scientific Reports, Vol. 6 (2016), Article number 30789 (Scientific Report).
11. Weiqiang Li, Kien Huu Nguyen, Yasuko Watanabe, Shinjiro Yamaguchi, Lam-Son Phan Tran; OaMAX2 of Orobanche aegyptiaca and Arabidopsis AtMAX2 share conserved functions in both development and drought responses; Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, Vol. 478 (2016), pp. 521–526 (ISI).
10. Synan F. AbuQamar, Khaled Moustafa, Lam-Son P. Tran; 'Omits' and Plant Responses to Botrytis cinerea; Frontiers in Plant Science, Vol. 7 (2016), Article Number 1658 (ISI).
9. Tahsina S. Hoque, Mohammad A. Hossain, Mohammad G. Mostofa, David J. Burritt, Masayuki Fujita, Lam-Son P. Tran; Methylglyoxal: An Emerging Signaling Molecule in Plant Abiotic Stress Responses and Tolerance; Frontiers in Plant Science, Vol. 7 (2016), Article Number 1341 (ISI).
8. Oksana Sytar, Marian Brestic Marek Zivcak, Lam-Son Phan Tran; The Contribution of Buckwheat Genetic Resources to Health and Dietary Diversity; Current Genomics, Vol. 17 (2016), pp. 193-206 (ISI).
7. Freddy Guihéneuf, Asif Khan, Lam-Son P. Tran; Genetic Engineering: A Promising Tool to Engender Physiological, Biochemical, and Molecular Stress Resilience in Green Microalgae; Frontiers in Plant Science, Vol. 7 (2016), Article Number 400 (ISI).
6. Sudisha Jogaiah, Hunthrike Shekar Shetty, Shin-ichi Ito, Lam-Son Phan Tran; Enhancement of downy mildew disease resistance in pearl millet by the G_app7 bioactive compound produced by Ganoderma applanatum; Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, Vol. 105 (2016), Pages 109-117 (ISI).
5. Parvaiz Ahmad, Arafat A. Abdel Latef, Abeer Hashem, Elsayed F. Abd_Allah, Salih Gucel, Lam-Son P. Tran; Nitric Oxide Mitigates Salt Stress by Regulating Levels of Osmolytes and Antioxidant Enzymes in Chickpea; Frontiers in Plant Science, Vol. 7 (2016), Article Number 347 (ISI).
4. Arafat Abdel Latef, Lam-Son TranImpacts of priming with silicon on the growth and tolerance of maize plants to alkaline stress; Frontiers in Plant Science, Vol. 7 (2016), Article Number 243 (ISI).
3. Mostafa Abdelrahman, Fatma Abdel-Motaal, Magdi El-Sayed, Sudisha Jogaiah, Masayoshi Shigyo, Shin-ichi Ito, Lam-Son Phan Tran; Dissection of Trichoderma longibrachiatum-induced defense in onion (Allium cepa L.) against Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. cepa by target metabolite profiling; Plant Science (2016), Vol. 246, pp. 128–138 (ISI).
2. Weiqiang Li, Shinjiro Yamaguchi, M. Ajmal Khan, Ping An, Xiaojing Liu and Lam-Son P. Tran; Roles of Gibberellins and Abscisic Acid in Regulating Germination of Suaeda salsa Dimorphic Seeds Under Salt Stress; Frontiers in Plant Science, Vol. 6 (2016), Article Number 1235 (ISI).
1. Mohammad G. Mostofa, Daisuke Saegusa, Masayuki Fujita and Lam-Son Phan Tran; Hydrogen Sulfide Regulates Salt Tolerance in Rice by Maintaining Na+/K+ Balance, Mineral Homeostasis and Oxidative Metabolism Under Excessive Salt Stress; Frontiers in Plant Science, Vol. 6 (2015), Article number 1055 (ISI).
7. Contact: Click here